Saturday, September 15, 2012

"Learing"

I call it "Learing." Mrs. Huckabee started it.  She made us read King Lear in High School English class.  It is a story about a vain old man who loses everything, including his devoted daughter.  The King goes crazy after foolishly liquidating his fortune between two of his three daughters based on their flattery.  She told us that it was a "classic" and audiences love it. But in the 19th century the ending was edited for audiences who did not like the depressing ending.  Now that's convenient.  I was puzzled as a 17 year old.  Still am.  Why do people like to watch movies like Titanic, Gone with the Wind, or Doctor Zhivago?  I am not fond of going through tragedy.  And, I really don't like reading about it or watching it at the movies.  (Again - I call it "Learing.") Then again, I'm not too fond of going to the movies anyway.  

I have found, however, in my short life that most people are not like me, and that is a good thing. Most people seem to enjoy watching a tragedy on film or reading about it in novels or plays. This is something we probably know instinctively, but it's been confirmed by "studies."  So why is this true?

 I have lost people that I love - it's devastating and tragic. Whether loss comes through a romantic breakup, a separation, a divorce or a death, the grieving process is painful.  Dr. Wayne Oates wrote a classic entitled Your Particular Grief that has been a tremendous help to me.

How about watching a tragedy?  It's a TRAGEDY. It is like when people ask me what the Bible book of Hebrews is about.  HEBREWS - hello?  TRAGEDIES end with loss or death. But audiences since the time of the ancient Greeks have loved them. Why is this?

A team of researchers at Ohio State University has marshaled evidence "that watching tragedy inspires self-reflection, which allows us to refocus on the people in our lives we might otherwise take for granted." They conclude that the melancholy we feel when watching these stories ultimately provokes "pleasant feelings of gratitude."

That's right: Watching a tragedy makes us feel thankful. Kind of weird.

Writing in the journal Communication Research, these cultural scholars say that the sadness we feel during such a story "fosters thoughts about one's close relationships." We naturally contrast our own lives with the miserable fates suffered by tragic characters, and the end result is a feeling of happiness. Tragedies can wake us up, remind us of the fragility of life, and inspire us to count our blessings "with regard to close relationships." At the end of the story, we are grateful for what we have. 

That's the value of tragedy. "Learing." But can tragedy turn my life around? 

I was asked this week a good question.  What do you consider the most important aspect of the Christian faith?  My answer?  The Resurrection of Jesus.  Lots of people died on crosses only one bodily resurrection.  As I reflect, I am still thinking I am sticking with my answer; however, Mrs. Huckabee's speech on King Lear and the value of tragedy has merit.  How often I find things in life dragging me down.  I need help - an advocate.  I long for someone to take my place - a substitute, a savior.  Interesting that those are the three sides of Jesus in the TRAGEDY of the cross.  Resurrected he now argues my case and puts himself in my place. He saves me from any sin that rips the fabric of my relationships with God, neighbor and self.  Yes - self - I am most of the time my own worst enemy.

At the end of His tragic earthly story, Jesus wants me to be grateful and empowers me to turn my life around.
I feel pretty good about my life right now. But reading, watching, and reflecting on tragedy makes me think more seriously about my existence.  It kind of wakes me up, and reminds me that horrible things can and do happen and that inspires me to appreciate each day I have - taking no day or no one for granted.


The CROSS of Christ did that for me.  I am deeply moved by this gift, and accept it with thanks.  God's plans are certainly different from mine.  If it were left up to me there would be no "Learing."  But God knows that right now in our world?  There's lot to "Lear" about.





No comments:

Post a Comment